Scotland

The first place we visited was Scotland. We flew from London into Glasgow and we were able to stay in Glasgow for about an hour. I quickly visited the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and then went to grab coffee. This was my first ever interaction with a Scottish person and it was almost difficult to understand what she was asking at first. Then the coffee shop played Keep Driving and Daylight by Harry Styles which made the whole experience even better. 

After that we’re headed to our hotel in Edinburgh. I have never seen buildings like the ones in Scotland. I love the Georgian architecture and houses. Seeing the buildings in Edinburgh gave me the realization that we were actually in Scotland, not the United States. After getting to the hotel we then got dinner together as a group. We had chicken, mashed potatoes, and haggis. I tried the haggis as a rite of passage while visiting Scotland. The flavor of the haggis was delicious, but I was not a fan of the texture. Either way I was proud to try it during the trip. Then we retired to the hotel and stayed in for the rest of the night. 

The next day we did a walking tour of the Royal Mile. The Royal Mile was INCREDIBLY beautiful. At one end of the Mile is the Holyrood Palace, and at the other end is Edinburgh Castle. We were able to learn the history of Edinburgh and see sites like Adam Smith’s grave, Canongate Kirk, St. Giles Cathedral. After the walking tour we explored the Edinburgh Castle and got to see the Scottish Crown Jewels. We also did a lot of shopping and I got a Harris Tweed purse. Then, we saw Victoria Street which is said to have been JK Rowling’s inspiration for Diagon Alley. Later that night we went to a piano bar and a night club!

The last day in Scotland I got breakfast at a nearby cafĂ©. I ordered a breakfast roll with sausage and egg but they gave me sausage and bacon and it ended up being really dry. Then we walked back around Edinburgh and got lost down some streets. After that we saw Greyfriars Kirkyard and rubbed the nose of Greyfriars Bobby. Then we walked around and explored more of Edinburgh. 

Overall I absolutely loved Scotland. It felt like a somewhat smaller city while still being quite a large city. I specifically loved the architecture in Scotland. I love medieval buildings and Scotland had plenty. Additionally, it was also extremely fun.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waverley Blog #1

Dublin Day 1

Mrs. Dalloway #2