The First Day in London

As I have previously stated in other blogs, I have been waiting to visit London my entire life. The first day in London was partially a travel day. Once we had taken the train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross I waited in line with some friends to get a photo with the Platform 9 3/4 area, however we did not have enough time before the bus came which was upsetting. Then we went to the hotel, and then to Trafalgar Square. 

In Trafalgar Square you can see many different monuments, and if you look out tou can even see Big Ben. When I saw Big Ben it all started to hit me. I had literally dreamed of seeing the phone booths, Big Ben, the Eye, the Tower Bridge, and everything else that screams London since I was young. Because of this, seeing Big Ben was an incredibly surreal moment that brought me to tears. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so many different emotions at one time in my life. It was an extreme mix of happiness and confusion, and accomplishment while all feeling completely unreal that I was actually there. 


After that we had free time and spent the rest of the day out in London. We spent most of our day in the Piccadilly Circus area— which I was not a fan of. Piccadilly Circus is said to be like the British version of Times Square. I don’t hate Times Square but I absolutely hated Piccadilly Circus. Because of that I was so upset that I wouldn’t enjoy London in the way I thought I would. We got Italian food at a restaurant where the host heckled us into eating there. We were promised discounted meals and free bruschetta…we only got the bruschetta. But, that is better than nothing. After that we got gelato.  I got “caramello” and “chocolate amarino”. The gelato was very good, definitely the second best thing of that day (second to seeing Big Ben from afar). Overall the first day of London was tiring, exciting, but also disappointing. I had a set expectation of London and the first day did not live up to it. However, it did turn around!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waverley Blog #1

Dublin Day 1

The Rest of London